• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iPhoto won't load photos

#1 User is offline   Otter91 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

good afternoon all,
I am having a problem with my iPhoto. I open the application and the screen says "loading photos" with the working icon on the screen (as usual when opening iPhoto) but the photos never come up on the screen. The application is not freezing, I can quit it, I can use all of the menu options, but I cannot get my pictures to show up. I have the latest updates, this is running on a powerbook G4. I looked through the folders, and my photos are fine (I can open them with preview) but just no iPhoto.
any ideas to correct this?
thank you
Ryan Stiefvater

#2 User is offline   OldToad 

• PipPip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

Are you running iPhoto 4? If so try the following:
Determining if the SWOD (spinning wheel of death) at launch is caused by a corrupt album.
1 - move the Albums folder and the AlbumData.xml file to the Desktop
2 - launch iPhoto. If it launches OK then it's a bad album.
3 - to determine which one(s) is the bad apple (pun intended) move, one at a time, each album folder and it's associated data file back into the new Albums folder that was created inside the iPhoto Library folder.
4 - Launch iPhoto. If the launch is OK, that one was good and try the same with the next one.
5 - If the launch gives you the SWOD, remove that last album folder and it's data file.
6 - repeat with each album folder and data file until you've checked them all.

#3 User is offline   Otter91 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:12 PM

YOU RULE!!!!
thank you very much. It actually wasn't an album but a single picture instead. If you don't mid me asking, what is wrong with the picture that makes it stop iPhoto from loading?
thanks again
Ryan

#4 User is offline   jeepsteve 

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:50 AM

This seems to be the answer to everyone else, but i have tried moving, rebuilding, creating empty/new library, etc. It's still just "loading photos" - even if I create a "new" library. If i hit slideshow or book, i can go through the motions then the photos appear. If i quit, it starts all over again. just updated to 5.0.4 in hopes it would work itself out, but no. Running 10.4.3.

#5 User is offline   OldToad 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:56 PM

jeepsteve:
Clean out the user and system caches and run the cron scripts. I use OnyX for those operations. Also repair disk permissions with Disk Utility.

#6 User is offline   jeepsteve 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:43 AM

Okay, tried those steps, no good. - Used Cocktail and Disk Utility.
It did convert everything to iPhoto 5. Took 3 or 4 minutes to upgrad photos. There's no beachball, just "Loading Photos" and the spinning grey circle thing. I can move around iPhoto 5. If i click on anything from the menu bar, such as New Album> Untitled> OK, it will stop trying to load. it will show me my list of Albums (NOTE: without the new untitled album) but the Library is blank - grey screen. I can click through the albums and all the photos are there. If i click on Library again, now they are there. If i quit, and relaunch, it all starts over again.

#7 User is offline   Chazmati 

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:30 AM

I had the same problem with iPhoto 4, and OldToad's method worked for me. No albums were corrupt! I just moved the Albums folder and AlbumData.xml file to the desktop, ran iPhoto (started ok but of course with no albums), quit iPhoto, and moved all the album directories and their associated album-data files from the Desktop/Albums folder back into the new Albums folder that iPhoto created. Then I deleted the Desktop/Albums folder. Thanks OldToad!

#8 User is offline   Mikaeli 

• Pip

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:35 AM

I have a similar problem. I once lost all my rights due to the fact that my iBook dropped from a table. The disk utility didn't help and I needed to change the rights manually. I got everything else working except iPhoto. It just didn't show any photos.
Rebuilding the iPhoto library worked for me. You can do that by pressing shift+alt when you start iPhoto. First iPhoto asks if you want to rebuild your library. If you press yes iPhoto asks the file name you want to save your new library and starts to rebuild the library.
This methods has some drawbacks you should consider before you start the rebuild.
1. All the pictures are now saved and dated with the date you did the rebuild. So if your precious pictures are now in order by date, they won't be that way after the rebuild.
2. If you have a lot of photos this will take quite a lot of time (at least with 1,4 gHz G4 iBook), so don't start this process if you are in a hurry.
Anyway this worked for me and now my iPhoto is working as it should be.

#9 User is offline   MacKabalist 

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

See if the image file is locked. I had a similar problem, it happened to be that the file was locked and not corrupt. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users