• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Erased iPod with Disk Utility/Cannot Restore

#1 User is offline   Francia13 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

Someone please help me, I am desperate for a solution. Here is my story:
I received a 20GB iPod (with dock connector/touch buttons) second hand. The iPod was Windows formatted and it's firmware version showed 2.1 (current version 2.3). I have been desperately trying to restore the iPod with the updaters (4.2, 4.4 and 4.5) on my Powerbook (OS 10.4.3) without success; iPod updater does not recognize my iPod. The iPod mounted properly in the Finder, as well as iTunes (note: iTunes is version 6.0.1). I was able to sync the music in my library to the iPod, except for all purchased music because of the outdated firmware.
After some time I discovered that the reason I could not update or restore my iPod with my Mac was because the iPod was formatted for Windows (FAT32). I went ahead with disk utility and erased my iPod. I then partionned the disk in two (note that in both the first erase as well as in the partion I chose to format in Mac OS extended, as listed compatible on the Apple website). I thought this would solve my updater problems however it has not. Now, when I plug my iPod a message appears stating that my computer cannot read the disk, and prompts me to initialize it... however I do not know if I can, and if so how. I figured that after I erased it that the updater would function properly and that I would be able to restore the firmware on the iPod. I am very disappointed, I am afraid I have ruined my iPod. What is there to do? If someone has any suggestions they would be more than appreciated.
Sincerely a very desperate and sad iPod owner.

#2 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:04 PM

at this point, i would reformat it.
I would also question the partition.
why? especially if it isn't working for you.

#3 User is offline   Francia13 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hello Macnuke,
Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.
My problem is that I do not know exactly how to reformat it. That is what it is asking me for but I do not know how to format it. I thought the only thing I could format it with was iPod updater, which is not working. As for the partition, I thought it would help however I don't care about losing it... I just want the iPod to work.
I would appreciate any help.

#4 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

Factory Settings Restoration
just use the Apple version and not the Windows version

#5 User is offline   Francia13 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:28 PM

This brings me to the iPod updater. The iPod updater does not recognize my iPod, before the disk erase and after. I have the Mac updater because the application loads properly on my mac... however when it asks me to plug in the iPod, i do, and it does not see it.
Is there another application I can use? Otherwise do I have any hope whatsoever?
/forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

#6 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

my child took mine and I won't have it back for a few days.. you try the Apple Disk Utility on it?

#7 User is offline   Francia13 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

I used the disk utility to erase the disk. However I cannot use it to restore because I have no file to restore from.

#8 User is offline   Francia13 

• Pip

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:55 AM

I have restored my iPod through Windows. It functionned properly and I was able to restore the iPod, as well as finally update its firmware to the most recent version. However I am extremely disappointed that this doesn't work with my mac... I want to be able to use my iPod for data also, not just music, and this is what prompted me to format it with a mac.
If anyone here has any idea of what I should do, please feel free to tell me. My iPod now functions properly; it mounts and I can see it both in the Finder as well as in iTunes... but trying to use iPod updater to restore it as a mac formatted iPod is completely useless... I've tried everything to get it to recognize the iPod and it just does not see it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users