Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VHS to iMovie-How do you do it?

#1 User is offline   wap 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

I have all these old VHS tapes that I want to put on DVD. I thought maybe I could record them back to my Panasonic mini DV camcorder but that doesnt seem to work. So what is the best way to do this and maintain great quality. I have a 1.8 GHZ G5 one gig of ram and 3 empty AGP slots. Comes with Nvidia 5200 graphics card. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Wap /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#2 User is offline   OldToad 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:48 PM

wap:
What you need is an analog to digital converter to pass the VHS tapes through. Many of the DV cameras now have a "pass thru" capability where you connect the VHS player to the camera and then a FW cable from the camera to the Mac. If you don't have such a camera maybe you can borrow one from a friend.
The other option is to use an A/D converter like CANOPUS ADVC-100. That's what I used and it did a very good job. It's about $300 as I recall and the downside to it, when you're done it's a nice paperweight. The DV camera is the best route if you can find one. Good luck.

#3 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

Check this out.

#4 User is online   Dutchie 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:56 PM

I did this, without the expense of a converter. I just plugged the camera into my VCR Recorder, then plugged the camera into the computer. Then open iMovie; put an empty or used tape into the camera, turn on camera, go to Record Control (camera), press pause, then press play on the VCR. If nothing happens, press Rec Start, then back to Rec Pause to get sound. It should start - sometimes it stopped along the way, just press the following again - Rec Start, Rec Pause. It imported the clips as one clip, so to fix this, I just hit the Import button in iMovie twice very quickly to break it up - you won't millisecond of missed recording!!! You can use the same tape in the camera for all your VHS tapes, but it will wear out. Remember, this is only the pass through. It is actually recording the VHS on there, but at the same time recording it to your computer.

#5 User is offline   azhie 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

You can leave the tape out of the camcorder. Start iMovie, connect the FW to the camcorder, attach the cables from the VHS player to the camcorder input. iMovie may state "No tape," ignore that. Start the player; switch button to import. You should see the image on the iMovie screen. Press the import button. No tape necessary.

#6 User is offline   JimToucey 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

----ALERT!!!----

There is one more step most people will probably overlook. You need to go into the camera menu and turn on the AV jack to DV pass-thru feature. Enter the main menu, then enter VCR SET, scroll down to AV>DV Out and set to ON. Exit by pressing MENU one more time. I couldn't get the camera to pass signal from my VCR. I soon as I switched this to ON, the picture popped right up on iMovie.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users