• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

USB Over Current Notice

#1 User is offline   dawnmaple 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

My black MacBook (1GB) arrived last Friday via fedex. After a smooth set up, I've encountered a problem. Each and everytime I start the MB, I get the following message:
"USB Over Current Notice. A USB device is currently drawing too much power. The hub it is attached to will be deactivated."
The only thing is no USB devices were attached or plugged into the MB when I switched on the MB.
Is anyone experiencing similar problems? What is causing this problem? Is there something inherently wrong with the MB? Any remedies? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

#2 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

I'd suggest reinstalling the software (hopefully you don't have too much data to back up). If it still does it, call Apple.

#3 User is offline   dawnmaple 

• Pip

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I called Apple support and spent a good 1+ hour going through different scenarious from power management to various restart options to checking files etc. I was told that the good news is it's not a hardware problem. The bad news is no one knows what's wrong. At the end of the session, I was asked to re-install OSX. I have just done that and the same problem still persists. Now I'm at a loss ... did I get a lemon instead of an apple? Should I ask to exchange the MB or should I bring it to the Genius Bar and keep my fingers crossed that they can solve this problem on-site?

#4 User is offline   MacCheetah3 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

Hi
If you did a reinstallation ( format & install ) and it still gives errors, I'd say it is a hardware fault.
You'll notice through the System Profiler that many of the internal components also use (a) USB channel(s)...
Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad ( 12Mbps / 500mA )
IR Receiver ( 12Mbps / 500mA )
Bluetooth HCI ( 12Mbps / 500mA )
Built-in iSight ( 480Mbps / 500mA )
So, either the USB bus is malfunctioning or one of those devices, would be my guess. I don't know if that means they each have their own USB bus...

#5 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:14 AM

Quote:

If you did a reinstallation ( format & install ) and it still gives errors, I'd say it is a hardware fault.

I agree. Keep pushing for them to fix it.

#6 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

Check to see that after the warning and "deactivation" if any of the internal USB devices go off-line-- that would you the culprit.
Sounds like there is short of some sort (to state the problem in simple terms) causing excessive current draw internally. Such things are not usually common but at a very low frequency, anything is possible. If true, either they would solve the problem by testing and exchanging malfunctioning device(s) or the logic board itself, should the problem lie in with it.
And yes, difinitely insist that they remedy the situation either by fixing it or exchanging the machine!

#7 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

It could well be a short circuit in the hardware. There is a thread on another Mac board about the appearance of this error message and it only happened after someone spilled liquid on the machine. If you haven't done anything like that it sounds like the hardware could be at fault.

#8 User is offline   dawnmaple 

• Pip

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for all your insights and suggestions. I'm suspecting that it could be the internal USB components that's causing the problem. During my session with Apple support last night, tests that were ran showed that all is functioning well. Although I'm not sure if those tests would have indicated whether the individual internal USB components had gone offline or awry. I shall check back with Apple support and see what else can be done.
PS - The MB is so new that I've not connected anything to its USB ports. And because it's so new, I've taken great care not to have food/drinks near the MB. Thanks again for all your help!

#9 User is offline   dawnmaple 

• Pip

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

Still waiting to hear back from Apple Support after leaving a message that re-installation of OS-X did not solve the problem. Any suggestions on how I can check whether the internal USB devices go off-line after the warning?

#10 User is offline   jpcoop 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

What I would do is use every device on the internal USB bus. Fire up Photo Booth and make sure the iSight works. Press the menu button on the Apple remote and see if Front Row starts. Use rhe trackpad and keyboard. And if you have a bluetooth phone or headset or something try to use that. If you have an inexpensive JumpDrive or something I would test the two USB ports with that, just to be safe.
No matter what AppleCare says I'm willing to bet it's a hardware issue. I've had to deal with them as well and I was very satisfied with their service. Be persistent and they'll fix it.

#11 User is offline   dawnmaple 

• Pip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

I just got a message from Apple Support that the iSight might be malfunctioning and so I have to bring it to an Apple Store to have them run some tests and have it repaired. All of you were right from the get go /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks! Will post on outcome.

#12 User is offline   dawnmaple 

• Pip

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

After sending in the MacBook to the Apple store to run some tests, there was still no clear answer to why the notice keeps popping up. I have since exchanged the old MB for a new MB and so far it has been working out. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!

#13 User is offline   SJTryon 

• Pip

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've got the SAME problem - precisely as you have described. Guess I'm headed to the nearest Apple store. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif The only difference between my problem and yours is that I'm using a brand new 15" MacBook Pro.
sjt

#14 User is offline   dawnmaple 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hope the Apple Store managed to fix or exchange your MBP. A few days after sending in my MB, I was only getting sporadic updates on the repair status. Thus, I decided to stop by the store to inquire in person and sat at the Genius Bar for a good hour plus, as the Apple Store techs tried to figure out the root of the problem. Patience and persistence are key to solving the problem. They were initially reluctant to exchange it because my MB was customized (to 1GB). In the end, for whatever reasons, they relented and exchanged the faulty MB for a new one. So far, my MB has been working out well (fingers crossed) /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users