Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: MacBook Pro - Glossy or Anti-glare screen? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MacBook Pro - Glossy or Anti-glare screen?

#1 User is offline   ged 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

I notice there is no price difference between the two screen types. Which would you guys recommend?
Is it purely a personal preference, or does each have its own pros/cons for different uses? If so, what are they?
Thanks.

#2 User is offline   CloverTAC 

• PipPip

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

Here's an article that should help you:
http://forums.applei...hp/t-63849.html

#3 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

You should compare them side by side yourself and buy the one that you like the best. In case of of the shiny one, you are looking for reflections off the screen that some users find distracting.

#4 User is offline   tchaten 

• PipPip

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

I love my anti glare screen, no expierence with glossy but I think that shiny sheet looks cheap to much eye candy and harder in the long run to work on. (You can also buy sheets that will transform your screen into the glossy so the best of both worlds.

#5 User is offline   patrice_MW 

• PipPip

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:55 AM

well I bought the glossy screen one and I must say that I love it. The glare really depends on where you sit. I have yet to find a spot where it gets annoying. But pictures and movies sure look great on my glossy screen.

#6 User is offline   AdamOnFirst 

• PipPip

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

I definitely prefer the matte finished screen, but it depends on your useage.

#7 User is offline   RichL 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

I guess I gotta throw my 2 cents in...
I have a MacBook...glossy screen...LOVE it. Glare has not been an issue for me...
I also have a Dell (from my company...would never waste money myself on the dark side)
Has a matte screen.....I put the two side by side.
The Mac glossy screen is alive with color...I would describe it as vibrant...the colors jump out. I've had overs who have looked at the MB say the same thing.
Could glare be a problem..sure, I can see it being a problem here and there....but overall, I like the glossy screen.

#8 User is offline   MacCheetah3 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:09 AM

Hi
I really enjoy the glossy finish. I was worried about glare but I was quite wrong. I've used my MacBook in a lot of lighting conditions with no problems whatsoever. I haven't used it outside yet or in complete daylight but from experience, matte finishes aren't exactly perfect in that instance anyway.

#9 User is offline   RichL 

• Veteran

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:36 AM

I don't think you would be able to see a computer screen in bright sunlight...matte or otherwise.
In any event, when I am outside, I'm not computing......except on my porch which is shady and the MB works quite well there.

#10 User is offline   MaccyA 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:44 AM

My MBP has the glossy screen and I think its great!! Glare has yet to present a problem. The only downside is that it picks up fingerprints and dust like a magnet. I have one of those yellow lint-free cloths to hand and i give the screen a wipe every so often. Otherwise, I love it.

#11 User is offline   RichL 

• Veteran

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

I use the iKlear stuff.
Works very well.....
LINK for iKlear

#12 User is offline   AdamW 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:47 PM

I got the matte, because that's what was in stock and I wasn't gonna wait /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Compared to the screen on my old TiBook400, the matte screen is quite glossy and looks spectacular. I think I would've found the glossy screen too reflective, but on the other hand, the glosy MacBooks I saw at the Apple store also looked spectacular. If possible, try to compare them side by side. I suspect you'll be impressed with them both. Now doesn't that make your decision harder? /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Adam

#13 User is offline   MacinTalk 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

I think it's a personal preference.
The glossy screen is definitely more colorful and richer than a matte screen.
The glossy is supposed to be difficult to see outside, but my matte Powerbook screen was aweful outside, so no gain or loss there.
Go to an Apple store or local dealer and compare them side by side. See what you think.
Either way, I think you will love your new Mac!

#14 User is offline   macosxp 

• Pip

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

That's no comparison. Dell screens are by far the worst in the industry.

You should compare a matte and glossy Mac screen.

For comparison, I've checked out a glossy 20" iMac screen and a (good quality) 23" LG matte screen. Both have vibrant colors and have sharp picture. The difference? When the sun its the LG at an angle, the screen gets masked by a dull light. And when there is any kind of light or window anywhere behind me when I'm using the iMac, the computer becomes useless.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users