• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple acquires Silicon Color

#1 User is offline   MW Forums 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

Apple has acquired Silicon Color, a developer of color correction software for QuickTime media. more

#2 User is offline   MacTel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

This will obviously be wrapped into Final Cut Pro.
I would go further to say that this technology will be integrated into a Photoshop competitor. Aperture is just the beginning of Apples professional still image line of software.

#3 User is offline   Aryugaetu 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

I agree, MacTel. Apple will continue to be a quiet giant in the professional markets, and they will use that knowledge to continue their extraordinary quality on the consumer level. Just like a photo, you can always take a quality image and shrink it down into a quality smaller image, but if you take a low quality image and try to make it huge, all you have is a lot more crap. Microsoft would be a real threat if anyone there had the ability to identify quality and crap.

#4 User is offline   pixelcruncher 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

This is absolutely fantastic news - if Apple doesn't orphan this fantastic app. Wrapping a few features into Final Cut isn't going to cut it - Final Cut needs a color corrector like this whether an Apple product or a 3rd-party product. If Apple defangs this app, or takes a few features for Final Cut, I think Final Cut will actually be weakened by not having this type of option out there. Silicon Color finally produced a color corrector worthy of HD and 2K online, it will really hurt those of us who produce HD programming with Final Cut if it disappears.

#5 User is offline   hmurchison 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

Or something like that. Final Touch really isn't a photoshop competitor but it does leverage the power of the GPU for doing Real Time Color Correction. There were rumores of Apple acquiring Silicon Touch months ago. I'm glad they finally made the move. Now we can see what they have planned for NAB 2007.
Great news I hope they can bring it into the realm of affordability for Indies.

#6 User is offline   gineric1 

• Pip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

Why would they buy something and orphan it? The SD version will be included with FCS, with an option to upragde to the hd version. The 2k version will become part of the new Shake.

#7 User is offline   HumanJHawkins 

• PipPip

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

Quote:

This is absolutely fantastic news - if Apple doesn't orphan this fantastic app.

I wouldn't worry too much... Orphaning a product is what you do when you buy out a competitor with a similar (threatening) product. This is a solid hunk of technology that I am sure Apple wants to make full use of one way or another. I am sure it will either be stand-alone, bundled, or well integrated into FCP.

#8 User is offline   fearless 

• Pip

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:25 AM

Final Touch HD may be a fantastic app in theory, but it's unfinished and hell to work with. We've never got past a beta. v2.6.1 (the current version) is full of bugs and getting stuff in and out of it at HD resolutions is a mission. Let's hope Apple cleans it up meanwhile, we're all high and dry.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users