• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer .rax files to itunes?

#1 User is offline   donna_kay 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hi,
Everyone was so helpful on this forum last year when I first got my Mac, so I am hoping for some good advice again. Problems with RealPlayer and conversions.
About 2 years ago, I was given a Palm Pilot by my employer. I downloaded a bunch of music onto my Windows-based office computer (I only had dialup at home at the time) and used the Palm Pilot's music player for workouts (it's a crappy music player, but beats CNN on the treadmill).
I thought it would be a good idea to back up the files by burning them onto a CD at the least. Then I found I could not make Real Audio recognize my CD player! I tried their help files, downloaded various drivers, etc. I've given up. My CD burner works fine with everything else.
NOW I find I can't even listen to them at work. I get a message saying "RealPlayer needs to download new software to play this clip." When I click OK, to download it from the RealAudio site, I get a message saying the software is not available.
So now I have them backed up on a flash drive and would like to salvage them to play them from iTunes with the rest of the music I have on iTunes. They are in .rax format. Can anyone give me some step by step instructions on what I might need to do? I am not at all savvy regarding music file formats, so don't make any assumptions /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thank you!
DK

#2 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

This thread seems applicable:
web page
Essentially, "rax" is a protected RealAudio file that can't be
converted per se -- any more than protected WMAs or M4Ps.
But you can burn the puppies to CD, then convert the resulting
AIFFs to MP3.
Hope tis helps.

#3 User is offline   donna_kay 

• Pip

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

Thanks. And yes, the link does seem relevant, but reading it makes me think that alot of people never get it resolved. I hope I don't have to re-buy this music. Some of isn't even availabe on iTunes.
So...I probably need to download RealPlayer onto my Mac, get it authorized as one of my computers (it allows like 3 or something), transfer the music into RealPlayer, burn a CD (if it recognizes the CD burner, which it seems happens is a big problem), then take the songs from the CD and import them into iTunes?
Seems I should get my 4 year old on the computer more - she found applications and ways to do things on my PalmPilot that I didn't know were there. Perhaps she can give me tech support when she figures out how to read.
Unless I hear some other suggestions, I will try the procedure above and see if I can salvage this.
Thanks!!!!!
dk

#4 User is offline   donna_kay 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

Well, so far this isn't working.
After much frustration trying to get these files to play on the Real Player for Mac, I finally figured out it won't let you download or import music on anything but machines running Windows.
So I am not sure what the point of having a Real Player for Mac is exactly. It was supposed to be the version that works with my iMac G5.
I suppose my last option will be to find a friend who has Real Player, log into my account from there, authorize THEIR computer, transfer the files, and so on.
I am not a technophile - I just really liked the idea of being able to pick and choose my songs and playlists! I apparently missed some crucial "things to consider before you download" lessons.
/forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users