Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mail - Can't Delete Emails

#1 User is offline   Ralph_Thornton 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

I searched the forum for an answer but found none.
I'm using Apple Mail (OS x 10.4.8). There are some emails (they appear to be spam) that I cannot delete. I move them to the trash (either by highlighting and clicking on delete or by clicking and dragging to the trash mailbox) and they disappear from the inbox and appear in the trash. But when I go back to the inbox they reappear there.
They are not being reloaded from my ISP server and this is happening only to a few emails. Any ideas on why or how to cure this problem?

#2 User is offline   DarthMac 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

Have you tried rebuilding your mailboxes?

#3 User is offline   Ralph_Thornton 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:32 AM

I thought about that option but the only mailbox I'm having trouble with is the Inbox and the "Rebuild" command under Mailbox is dimmed so not available.

#4 User is offline   DarthMac 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

Quote:

I thought about that option but the only mailbox I'm having trouble with is the Inbox and the "Rebuild" command under Mailbox is dimmed so not available.

It will be dimmed if you have more than one account in the Inbox. You have to rebuild each account mailbox in the Inbox.

#5 User is offline   Ralph_Thornton 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Darthmac. I didn't think about the separate accounts. I selected each and rebuilt the Inboxes but the problem persists.
In trying to view the offending messages they open blank. So I tired the Mail Help menu for incomplete or messages that can't be displayed and got the suggestions listed below. I tried each in order. The disk utility did repai a monor error but even so the problem persists.
Suggestions from Mail Help:
Make sure you have enough free space on your computer's hard disk. I have 27 GB free.
Rebuild mailboxes. Rebuilt all mailboxes.
Reindex mailboxes. Reindexed all mailboxes.

For a POP account, reimport mailboxes. Done.
You might be experiencing a more serious problem. Run Disk Utility to verify and repair the disk, if necessary. Done. Utility repaired a minor problem.

#6 User is offline   Ralph_Thornton 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

Problem Solved - I think
Here's what I did after going through all the suggestions from the Help menu.
I opened the folder containing the email messages in the inbox of the offending account. It was located at:
My User Home Folder --> Library --> Mail --> POP/account name --> INBOX.mbox --> Messages
I moved all files to a temporary folder on my Desktop.
I rebuilt the Inbox in Mail. It was now empty.
I moved the files back into the Messages folder a few at a time and Rebuilt the Inbox after each move.
Doing this I eventually discovered which were the offending files. I moved those to the trash. Reinstalled all the remaining files and rebuilt the Inbox a final time.
The offending messages are now gone and hopefully will stay that way.

#7 User is offline   Jo 

• Pip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

I had the Gary-out "deleted" message that came with a virus and stay in my inbox and failed to disappeared
the only way to delete it without a mess is:

1. Quit Mail
2. Move to the desktop the file name "Envelope.index" - the path: Users / yourmane / Library / Mail / Envelope.index
3. Launch Mail and follow the instructions

10x and gl
Jo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users