Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac OS X Hints Weblog: Address Book envelope printing tips - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac OS X Hints Weblog: Address Book envelope printing tips

#1 User is offline   Macworld.com 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

Trying to use OS X 10.4's Address Book to print envelopes? These tips might help you avoid a few frustrations. [more]

#2 User is offline   ibeetle 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

God bless you man. You got further in this futile exercise than I did (I guess that is why they pay you the big bucks). I gave up on built-in OS X envelope printing long ago.
Thank goodness we have Snail Mail.

#3 User is offline   Steve_S 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:41 PM

I've found the best solution to greeting name is to not use the first or last name fields at all (with regard to printing envelopes). For example, if you're sending to Sally sample, you'd want the greeting to be "Ms. Sally Samply". If Sally is married, they greeting might be "Mr. and Mrs. Sally Sample". If they have kids, I might use "The Sample Family" as the greeting. It seems ridiculous to resort to a solution that requires multiple entries for the same household. I've stored the greeting content in the "Company Name" field.
There are other programs that work with Address book, including Apple's own Pages application. I'm pretty sure the Print Shop and others do as well (not in front of my Mac right now).
Steve

#4 User is offline   msealey 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

I've had great success with the versatile and well-supported SOHO Labels & Envelopes from Chronos. It's not free, but it works excellently well.

#5 User is offline   CorporateMagic 

• Pip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:12 PM

I have used Address Book Reports, which is part of DigiLife Reports ( http://scruffyware.com/products.html) for many a mailing lable and envelope task. Not free, but $20 is reasonable and it comes with an iTunes report and printing application. I am hoping for a MAJOR update to address book in the next OS. Particularly, if company X has 3 salespeople, why do I have to have 3 cards for the company. Why can't I have a sub category for salespeople etc... whine, snivel over. web page

#6 User is offline   TiBookGuy 

• Pip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:57 PM

Wow. This is great stuff! I did use Address Book to do my envelopes, but didn't know anything about that spouse stuff. Of course, now I need to set aside about 6 hrs some Saturday to go through and re-work my addresses. Good stuff javascript:void(0) , but gee, thanks for all the work I gotta do javascript:void(0).

#7 User is offline   Guntis 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:22 PM

Why not use Mail Factory? Address Book integration, custom mailing lists, custom "From:" lists, etc. You can customize any recipient address by adding spouse's name, etc. And it can be saved as such. Envelopes and labels. Good clipart collection + image masking capabilities. What else do you need? $40 for Pro, $20 for Home edition. http://www.belightso...ry/overview.php

#8 User is offline   sandbag1 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

For a measly $13 you can use the July 2003 MacWorld recommended Addresix. I did!

#9 User is offline   lipbalm 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

Ah man...
I could have used this info just last night! I spent a few hours getting all my envelopes printed for x-mas cards. Address book worked fine and the envelopes came out looking very pro - however, I had to temporarily hack up the first name field of a bunch of my contacts because I didn't know about that spouse/partner feature.
Thanks for the tips. It will come in handy next year. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#10 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

I'm still running Panther, but, do use a Palm PDA. It has an envelope print feature that I use and like a lot. I have yet to research the 'partner' issue when the last names are different, but, haven't really worried about it too much at this point.
Pretty cool to be able to set up a custom size envelope.
We'll be doing all our Christmas cards, next year, on the printer. I like it!
Bob.

#11 User is offline   rameeti 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:36 AM

Where is Job's temper tantrum throwing things attitude when we need it? Has he ever tried to use his Address Book? C'mon Steve, you can do better than this.

#12 User is offline   penguinmd 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:02 AM

This comes up every year for me as well. I highly recommend pearLabelizer (free, donations accepted). http://www.pearworks...s/software.html I have it in my utilities folder and keep it there for the annual Christmas card mailing esp to do the "The (NAME) Family" labels.

#13 User is offline   jceeetle 

• PipPip

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

Another program to print envelopes is Ambrosia Software's Easy Envelopes Dashboard Widget. It has a search field to search Address Book and you can edit the address before printing. The fact that its a Widget means that its instantly available when you need it.

#14 User is offline   sandbag1 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

Yes that Widget works great. I use Pearlabelizer for labels, and Addressix or Ambrosia's Widget to print envelopes. The Widget is a more recent addition for me and I'm liking it.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users