• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DiskWarrior 4

#29 User is offline   jedi228 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

Quote:

Is Diskwarrior one of these types of utilities?

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. If you are asking if DiskWarrior can find things that DiskUtility cannot, then the answer is yes.

#30 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

DW's primary function is to rebuild the directory. and yes, at the end of your rebuild you can look and see how it looks. it just doesn't popup and say"it appears OK"

#31 User is offline   legionary14 

• PipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Have had same problem: heard nothing for four weeks but have now had shipping confirmation and charges. Amazon has spoiled me - am used to being able to track online orders.
In defence of the company, they probably got more orders this January than in the whole of 2006.

#32 User is offline   Stomojo 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:02 AM

Their service sucks. How frikkin' hard is it to print out a label and put it on CD envelope.
They have a good product. They just have contempt for their customers.
They need more competition.

#33 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

Unless they have changed their process since version 2, they used to burn/label their own discs. I sure hope they are mass-producing them now, otherwise that would be the main cause for the shipping delays I am sure.

#34 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

I am a huge DW fan...it has saved my bacon too. But I think that a possible "Con" would be the price...to me, $100 for Utility, especially a "one-trick-pony" like this, seems a bit steep these days. Something like $49.95 to $69.95 would seem much more appropriate. Anyone else feel this way?

#35 User is online   Ilgaz 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

Thanks, yes I wondered if it finds potential problems which fsck (disk utility) doesn't know about.

#36 User is online   Ilgaz 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is there a nice application to compliment Disk Warrior that does disk defragmentation?

I have found Coriolis System's iDefrag to be very good. http://coriolis-syst...com/iDefrag.php
As for DiskWarrior. I actually have to say that I have actually had multiple times where DiskWarrior has failed to repair my disk. Granted, no other utility could repair the disk either, so I would always have to do an initialization and re-install. I have suspected that these times have been related to heavy-fragmentation, because ever since I began using iDefrag, I have not had an unrepairable problem.

Coriolis themselves suggest disk warrior if you need a commercial disk repair utility. I saw many times at Versiontracker comments.
So DW fans or people not using DW shouldn't be confused, iDefrag is a dedicated disk optimizer while Disk Warrior is a maintanance/check/repair tool.

#37 User is offline   BigCloits 

• PipPip

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

Y'all gotta stop drinking the Cool Aid.
I have never quite understood why the Mac community is so ga ga over Disk Warrior. I think that Alsoft has struck a magical marketing gold mine: people seem to just believe that Disk Warrior is terribly sophisticated and clever at what it does, when in fact 99% of users are clueless. It's a black box. Most users don't know what's inside.
Is it superior to Disk Utility? Sure, it probably is. I guess.
It is a flawless, five-mouse product? Gimme a break! In my years of using the application, I have had numerous problems with this application:
Pre v4 DW has crashed on me during repair on several occasions over the years. v4 is fine so far, but I also haven't had to use it much yet.

Unlike the usual glowing reports, I have had directory corruption that it couldn't repair... and once, Disk Utility repaired what Disk Warrior would not. DW crashed every time, Disk Utility handled it just fine. Only once, but hey... I'm just saying it's obviously not perfect.
One of the latest iterations of v3 had a significant, reproducible bug which caused the app to crash predictably at the end of every directory repair. It was a harmless known issue, but it was freaky to the uninitiated. I personally watched a few Mac users get spooked by that one!

The company's customer service and tech support is sketchy, and their website and upgrade paths have always been poorly designed. I have to agree with an earlier post: there is a contempt for customers at that company. They seem to think, "Don't you know that we have the One True Disk Utility you stupid customer?" Eye roll.
I'm just sayin'.

#38 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

Quote:

I'm just sayin'.

Seems to me that what you're just sayin' is that DW hasn't been the end all and be all for you. You then suggest that because it hasn't, everyone else who has had their data saved by this utility has somehow been brainwashed by Alsoft's marketing department.
Uh.
No.
Disk Warrior has, very definitely, saved my bacon on half a dozen occasions -- occasions where Disk Utility either told me my Mac was fine or that the drive could not be repaired. My guess is that you'll find several other people in these forums who could recount similar experiences. This, rather than a sugary beverage, might explain why the Mac community is ga ga over Disk Warrior.

#39 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

It's also worth noting that BigCloits seems to be basing his opinion on DiskWarrior v3, rather than v4, which is what was reviewed and received the 5-mouse rating.

#40 User is offline   DownLowSturgen 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

I totally hear the "bacon-saving" stories but...

I beg you all to Google the myths of "preventative maintenance" on the Mac. I'll even start you off here:

http://daringfirebal...software_update

As far as defragging, the all around best method is a clean install once a year. There are a number of reasons for this; all can be Googled.

Folks, this isn't M$ Windoze, so don't succumb to the insecurity of all these maintenance "utilities". Most are no more useful than buying a poly paint seal from a car dealership.

Just out of curiosity, what's MacWorld's five-mouse anti-virus software?

#41 User is offline   Reboot 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:48 PM

#42 User is offline   benrubin 

• Pip

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

My PB g4 mac fell on the floor, and worked for a few hours. I restarted the computer as a target disc and I was able to remove a number of programs, but then was called away. When I returned the computer could no longer be seen as a target disc. I was advised to use Data Rescue II. After cloning to a new drive I was able to rescue to contents, but all the files lost their names and have generic names like file 001. It was suggested to me that Disc Warrior may be able to solve my problem, but I am not sure I want to spend another $100 on a program that will not do any better that Data Rescue II. Any input from the group would be accepted.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users