Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Boot one mac from another?

#1 User is offline   debiso 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

Is it possible to boot one mac from the hd on another? I have an Imac G5 that has intermittent problems. MAC said it was the HD. I really find it hard to believe. They told me to boot an external drive and run that for a while. Any suggeations??? I do have a working powerbook, but not another G5.
Thanks!
Joe

#2 User is offline   Henry_PowerPC 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi.
Regarding your first question, I think it is possible to boot a mac from the internal HD of another mac. If you want to boot the iMac G5 from the Powerbook, try the following:
Shut down both the Imac and the Powerbook.
Get a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.
Plug-in the power brick in your Powerbook
Link both macs through the Firewire cable. Make sure no other Firewire peripherals are connected.
Start up the Powerbook while holding the T key. A Firewire icon should show up on the display.
Start up the iMac while holding the Option key. The powerbook's hard drive should be available to the iMac as a startup disk for you to choose. Once chosen, the iMac should boot from the Powerbook's HD.
Quote:

They told me to boot an external drive and run that for a while.

If they told you to boot from an external drive, I think they meant to boot from an external HD with a Firewire interface.
Good luck.

#3 User is offline   drmbb 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

Nope, can't be done. You can boot from external media- but note that powerpc machines will not boot OS X from a USB device. What you need is a bootable optical disc, or an external firewire hard drive. Have your tried booting from your original optical discs and run diskutility repair from there?
As an aside, you can boot from a network boot image on an OS X server - a way of booting one machine from another, I suppose. But you cannot just plug two machines together with a firewire cable and boot one from the others hard drive.

#4 User is offline   bruine 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

That's not exactly true. If you start the computer you want to boot from in firewire target disk mode, you can boot the other computer from it as if it was an external HD. Both machine need to have the same family of processor however (Intel or PowerPC) since the Os is not universal binary.

#5 User is offline   drmbb 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:57 AM

Well, I'll be...I've never done that. Neat!

#6 User is offline   ShermanHoman 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

"They told me to boot an external drive and run that for a while. "
And do what?!
You want to diagnose and fix those intermittent problems, not just watch it crash again. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bruine is right, the Firewire Target disk mode will allow you to mount your G5 iMac drive on another computer.
Have you done the Fix Permissions, boot in Safe Mode, Repair Disk stuff? What problems is the iMac having?

#7 User is offline   debiso 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

EXACTLY! And do what??? I am new to the MAC world, but this seems a little rediculous to me! I will do as I was told and see what happens. Is there something that would tell me how to boot in safe mode, fsck, etc??
Thanks!
Joe

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users