Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iChat, Mail, Safari quit unexpectedly when opened - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iChat, Mail, Safari quit unexpectedly when opened

#1 User is offline   dross202 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hi all,
Thought I'd post this question here - can't seem to find any solutions and I don't really want to pay for apple care for this one problem. Here goes:
First, I have a g4 powerbook, 1.5gb ram - bought reconditioned about 6-7 months ago - maybe 8 months. Worked fine until these problems im about to explain:
So I installed the 10.4.9 update a few weeks ago when it came out...right after and possibly even before the update, having nothing to do with it, some of the mac programs are not working. Specifically ichat, Mail, and Safari. Each quit unexpectedly pretty much as soon as I try to open them.
I booted from safe mode or whatever, repaired permissions, ran the little app called "Cocktail" did all the tasks and permission stuff. I also checked the disk for problems and everything came up fine.
I have my screensaver password protected also and it's funny, lately when it goes to sleep it wakes up by itself every so often and shows the password window.
I was thinking I could just hold off until Leapord comes out but I read it's pushed back and not coming out until June now instead of March. I also can use other program replacements for safari, mail and ichat - firefox, gmail in browser, and I have aim from aol downloaded. But I prefer the mac apps.
I really dont want to spend a whole day reinstalling the OS - I dont have a hard drive to back everything up and I'd have to go through each update separately from where it starts the POS when I first install it at 10.2 or whatever the disk is.
I'm think it's possibly a font problem? Maybe these apps are choking because they share a common font that I deleted and when they try to use that font they quit?
I am a designer and did delete some font a while back but I was pretty sure to not delete any system fonts.
Is there somewhere I can download/install all OS fonts without having to re-install OSX?
Thanks all for any help,
David

#2 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

Please don't cross-post.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic