Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: external hard drive won't mount tried disk warrior - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

external hard drive won't mount tried disk warrior

#1 User is offline   sslusser 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:59 AM

I have the 2ghz macbook running osx 4.9.
I recently purchased a seagate "Free agent" 500gb external hard drive connected via usb and have been using it to store my music and videos. Last week I unplugged the external hard drive while the macbook was hibernating (boy have I learned my lesson!). the next time i tried plugging the hard drive in, it did not mount.
I opened disk utility and it showed up there, so i tried to repair it and got this message:
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid node structure
Invalid record count
Catalog file entry not found for extent
Volume check failed.
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit
poked around some of the different forums and decided to try disk warrior, got this message:
"Disk warrior has succesfully built a new directory for the disk. The new directory cannot replace the original directory due to a Mac OS services failure"
also, ran disk utility from the osX boot disk where it said it repaired something, tried plugging in the hard drive again, and same problem. Lastly, tired plugging the hard drive into my wife's pc laptop where I have been using a program called mac drive that allowed me to use that mac initialized hard drive on the pc......ANY idea of how i can save my data? Ohhh computer gods i pledge to you I will NEVER unplug an external hard drive again without first ejecting it, please have pity on me!

#2 User is offline   sslusser 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

anything?

#3 User is offline   macworldguy 

• PipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Yikes. Indeed a very painful lesson.
Not sure if this will save the day for you:
try BOOTING from DiskWarrior ( you never said which version ??? ) and try to rebuld/repair that external hard drive's directory.

If you have TTPro 4.5 try that also to rebuild/repair the directory.

If that does not restore that USB drive then you will have to re-format that drive.
In the future, it also helps to rebuild the directory on a regular basis.

#4 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

Perhaps I am showing my ignorance, but I find it hard to believe that simply unplugging a drive when it is not actually transferring data would, by itself, cause such problems. I find it even harder to believe that this would occur when a sleeping or hibernating computer is unplugged.
I thought that ejecting a drive merely insured that all activity was completed and that the Finder would be informed that the drive was going off-line.
Am I wrong?

#5 User is offline   sslusser 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

i have been reding various forums and this seems to be a relatively common phenom, thre are a bunch of posts about external drives not mounting after not being "ejected", i have NO idea why this is......i'm not sure what version of disk warrior i have, i "borrowed" it from the internet as a download, so i don't have the disk....i also have tech tool pro 4, and started using the recovery option, specifically the, "recover files using protection data" feature. it had been scavaging my files for over 2 days (and was still only half way done!) at some point last night my wife upluggd the external!!!!!!!!! thus stopping the scavage.
what i did not realize is that in scavaging tech tool pro was keeping some kind of log on the internal hard drive, eating up my storage space. i used the smart folder to search for any huge files, and there appears to be a 20gb log file that I am assuming was created by tech tool pro......Soooooo, does any ideas here? can i open this file and perhaps get whatever files it had already scaveged? if i delete this file, is it like deleting the files scavaged from the external? can i restart the recovery process?.....i would appreciate any help as i am getting in way over my head!

#6 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

-Hi,
Have you run Repair Disk Permissions on your OSX? Try a new User Account and then plug in your external drive. Also, if you are using an external 3rd party mouse try it w/o the mouse while mounting your drive.
[Edit] Might give [Mount Me X 2.0.5 a try]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users