Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screen goes Black while watching video

#1 User is offline   Philmco 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

Frequently, while watching a long quicktime file or video on you tube, the screen on my laptop will go black, but the video will keep playing. It will take all sorts of pounding on various keyboard keys/mouseclicks to get the screen to eventually "wake up" again. I'm fairly certain this has nothing to do with my screensaver or energy saver preferences. (operating while plugged in) Also, it's not the screensaver that is activating, just a black screen. When the screensaver does come on, it will wake up instantly with one click. Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   dougoftheabaci 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

Sounds like your display is going to sleep. Open up Energy Saver, there's a slider that says "Put the display to sleep when the computer is active for:" and choose your poison.
If not that... Does it happen at the same amount of time? Is it only in QuickTime?

#3 User is offline   Philmco 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

The interval this starts with is different, but I couldn't tell you exactly what the timeframe is... only that it always seems to go right at a crucial moment in whatever I'm watching!! I set my screen saver to activate after 45 minutes specifically because of this issue. I was hoping that would solve the problem, but I don't think it's it. Happens with QT, DVD's, web video, etc... and the clips I'm watching mostly are quick, maxing out at 4 or 5 minutes. Also, if it was just the screen saver activating, wouldn't a touch of the mousepad/click re-activate?? It takes almost a minute for the screen to come back when this happens.

#4 User is offline   dougoftheabaci 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

Well your computer starts the sleep/shut off display cycle once it stops receiving input from a keyboard or mouse unless otherwise told.
Just do a few tests with a few different movies. Yeah it'll take a while but if you find out that it's doing it at the same moment, give or take, then you'll know it's something to do with the energy saver or such settings. Look on Apple's support site on how to reset your PMU/PRAM, I think that might help though someone with more knowledge than me might tell you that's not the case at all.
If it's happening at seemingly random moments and you can't discern a pattern then it might be an OS problem or a hardware issue.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users