Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

block adult content on iphone?

#1 User is offline   mittens79 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

I want to get an iphone. But since my kids are likely to want to play with it, I need to be able to block adult and other inappropriate content on safari. Is this possible? Does iphone's safari have parental controls as it does on mac computers?
Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
-mjr

#2 User is offline   griffman 

• old friend
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

There are no parental controls on the iPhone. I think the assumption is that it will be used by adults. You might be able to use an online service that works as a gateway -- ie you visit sites through their page, not directly. But I can't think of any way you could prevent someone from typing whatever URL they wanted into Safari's URL bar -- there's no "hosts" file you can get at, and there aren't any prefs that would let you input a proxy URL.
-rob.

#3 User is online   cedricstudio 

• Pip

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:02 AM

Lack of internet filtering is a sticking point for me as well. So far I have contacted two filtering companies (Intego and Covenant Eyes), and neither has anything for the iPhone. I'm told AT&T offers some optional filtering on the Edge network (via the Parental Controls which you access by logging into their website), but I have no idea how good it is, and the AT&T sales rep told me you can't edit or customize it, i.e. you can't block a specific site for example. Also, I would assume the Parental Controls would be cancelled out whenever the phone jumps to wi-fi.
Has anyone heard if there are any such 3rd party apps in development? Thanks.

#4 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

Quote:

Has anyone heard if there are any such 3rd party apps in development? Thanks.

As the only third party development available to the iPhone is through your browser (by going to websites), no. That type of third party development isn't possible.

#5 User is offline   aswamin 

• Pip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Our company, Mobicip.com, currently has a content filtering solution for the iPhone in private beta. The solution we are currently testing is free, but we are intending to offer a premium version with more robust features in the near future in addition to our free version.

You can learn more at http://www.mobicip.com. You can also participate in the beta test by signing up at our website. We hope to be available on the App Store in the very near future.

#6 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

While the iPhone doesn't have the same level of parental controls as OS X, it does offer a Restrictions feature (Settings > General > Restrictions). What you can do is turn off Safari usage for those times you don't want your kids to find anything—Chris Breen explains how it works in a recent Playlist entry.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users