• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ten must-see iPhone apps

#1 User is offline   MW Forums 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

No third-party access? No problem. Clever developers are still coming up with programs for the iPhone that you access with the device's Safari browser. Dan Moren picks 10 that provided a well-rounded look at what's out there. more

#2 User is offline   fribhey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

FYI, you have BeeJives JiveTalk linked to the gas app

#3 User is offline   fribhey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

accuweather is ok but it's not formatted correctly for the iphone. i like http://www.iweathr.com/ much better.

#4 User is offline   Philip Michaels 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

Quote:

FYI, you have BeeJives JiveTalk linked to the gas ap

Fixed

#5 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

I really like conceptdraw's aHa! game

#6 User is offline   jhuck 

• Pip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

That Gas.app is awful. Not only didn't it recognize any of the zip codes I entered for my town, but it pretended to recognize my town and then found gas stations in small towns that are 3 hours away from me.
I tried putting in zip codes and the name of my town and neither of those things produced different results. Granted, I don't live in a large city, but my town has 100,000 people in it, and all the online gas finders can find stations that are actually in my town.
Sigh - I say skip this app unless you live in a major city - its definitely not worth it. The thing is, if this is a "must-see app", I'm worried about the others. Not to mention that these web based apps still feel web-based, and most are anything but functional.
Please create native apps Apple - I'm begging you

#7 User is online   ktula 

• Pip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

For some of the apps on the list, it makes perfect sense for the app to be web-based. However, for a lot of other apps, it really does not make any sense to have to access the app via web. For example, i love using the Tip Calculator app but it is exremely slow to access it via AT&T's EDGE network. The Tip Calcular app is not something that requires constant update, unlike the Weather app or other similar ones. Also, why would one want to plan his budget online using a web-based app? There are a few problems i see using using web-based apps on the iPhone:
1. Should you trust that the website offering the app (like planning your budget or allowing you to login to your favorite instant messenger) that your information will be securely locked down, and that you and only you are the only person able to access it? Just for this reason alone, i refuse to use any iPhone apps that require me to cough up my login information for my instant messenger logins.
2. How reliable are these web-based apps? The apps are only as reliable as AT&T EDGE network (which so far has experienced a few downtime) and the server hosting the website.

#8 User is offline   pmbx 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

All these are application wannabees. I don't think most iphone browser based 'apps' are worth the time and effort. I'm waiting for real apps on my iphone.

#9 User is offline   Kar98 

• PipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

I love the GPS navigation! It knows exactly where you are and "how to get there from here". Just enter an address and it will give you the perfect route with turn-by-turn directions, voice guidance, live traffic, instant re-routing if you take a different turn. You can even navigate directly to contacts in your address book.
Wait, that's TomTom 6 running on Windows Mobile 6. And that phone costs less than half of what Apple wants for the iPhone which can't do jack other than look shiny.
Apple better come out with something damn impressive 3 hrs from now. This is getting ridiculous.

#10 User is offline   wgfinley 

• Pip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

I hadn't heard of Remote Buddy (was using another program previously) and so I did the download after seeing this article. This Remote Buddy AJAX thing is the most crazy Star Trek leave you slackjawed thing I have seen yet. I am not easily impressed by stuff but I was saying "Oh my god" the minute I fired up iTunes and started running one of my presentations with it. Unbelievable stuff.

#11 User is offline   jedi228 

• PipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:01 AM

Kudos to all the developers who tried, but I'm still waiting for real apps and only Apple can open this up.

#12 User is offline   feefer 

• PipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Quote:

I hadn't heard of Remote Buddy (was using another program previously) and so I did the download after seeing this article. This Remote Buddy AJAX thing is the most crazy Star Trek leave you slackjawed thing I have seen yet. I am not easily impressed by stuff but I was saying "Oh my god" the minute I fired up iTunes and started running one of my presentations with it. Unbelievable stuff.

If that impresses you, then you should check out dot-tunes, an application that allows you to STREAM your iTunes music library via EDGE to your iPhone (using Quicktime). The developer has written an iphone plug-in that makes it easier to navigate remotely (hint: turn off artwork for faster updating).
http://www.dottunes.net/
This program has fixed one issue that bothers me about the iPhone: no support for streaming audio over the iPhone UNLESS it's in Quicktime! So what I do is stream the audio for recording to my home computer (played via Media Player, and recorded using Audio Hijack Pro), and set up AHP to add the program automatically to iTunes after the recording is completed (easily done using included Apple Scripts). A plug-in for Dot Tunes then can automatically update the database, and I can listen to the recording immediately after it's done recording. Pretty cool, IMO.....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users