Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: What is the difference between a newsgroup & forum - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the difference between a newsgroup & forum

#1 User is online   henri 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

I posting this question in several discussion forums because I am not quite sure where it belongs. So please forgive me IF I have made a mistake.
Some of my friends tell me I should be reading Newsgroups for mac. I am new to all of this. What is the difference between discussion forums, weblogs and the older form of newsgroups. and are there special news group readers for macs. I have an Ibook and I am on a highspeed Roadrunner cable connection.
Henrisouleid@yahoo.com

#2 User is offline   SSGoku 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

A good place to find your answer is at Wikipedia.org
Here are the links. Enjoy.
Newsgroup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup

Internet Forum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internetforum

#3 User is offline   sturner0430 

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

They all are forms of communication within a community. However, their forms are different.
The newsgroups are accessed either through a newsgroup reader, or once you have subscribed to it, through email. Newsgroups often function through email posts.
weblog or blog, are forms of diaries, some of which allow interaction by readers posting comments. They are highly personalized and are the property of the author.
Discussion Forums are a form of newsgroups, though they are accessed most normally through a web browser. Often, once they are subscribed to, users interact within a forum through email postings.
To find a newsreader for Macs, go to versiontracker.com or macupdate.com and search for newsreader. There are several out there.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users