• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warning(?) icon on iPod playlists

#1 User is offline   mdawson 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

I notice when I attach my iPod to my Mac and look at the playlists on the iPod in the source list, a number of the smart playlists have an icon next to them. It is circle with an exclamation point inside of a warning triangle. What does the icon mean?

#2 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:31 AM

I know when I see that exclamation-point-of-death in iTunes
itself, it means there is nothing there. The iTunes entry points
to nothing. Then I get to find where that track is hiding.
For smart playlists lists on the iPod, I'd suspect that a path
name got discombobulated in translation from the HD to
the iPod. Can you give us some more info? How (if at all)
do those puppies play on the iPod? Any differences between
the groups with/without the EPOD? Are the "withs" older?
You might want to try manually re-syncing them.

#3 User is offline   mdawson 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

I fiddled with it a little more last night and found out what was causing the warning icons to appear. In iTunes, if you create a smart playlist from playlists that are currently empty, iTunes simply follows the logic upon which the smart playlist is built and moves forward; if one of the playlists you build upon is empty, so be it. When tracks are added to the empty playlists they are be automatically entered into the higher order smart playlist, if not, no big deal. On the iPod, empty playlists are not synced so the smart playlist winds up with null entries in the smart playlist logic.
For instance, as of now my Dance (2000s) playlist is emptyI have not purchase much new music since the late 1990sso it does not appear on my iPod. As a result, the smart playlist Urban Radio (2000s) is flagged. When I go into the editor for the Urban Radio (2000s) smart playlist I see the following logic:
    [Playlist] [is] [ ]
    [Playlist] [is] [Dancehall (2000s)]
    [Playlist] [is] [Pop (2000s)]
    [Playlist] [is] [R&B (2000s)]
    [/list]The first entry should have Dance (2000s) as the playlist, but no such playlist exists on the iPod because it is empty in iTunes.
    The second cause is due to the iPod not recognizing folders. In iTunes, folders are treated just like playlists and contain all of the music from the playlists within that folder. Unfortunately, folders are not transferred to iPods. Thus, any smart playlist that I had that was built from folders was also flagged. I found a workaround for mimicking folders by creating smart playlists directly on the iPod; thank you for the discovery that comes from your unconventional usage of iTunes, Philmco /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    So where I relied on the Urban Radio folder as a playlist in Party Shuffle for listening to urban music from the 1970s through today, I created a smart playlist on my iPod named Urban Radio that contains the four by decade Urban Radio smart playlistse.g., Urban Radio (1970s), Urban Radio (1980s), etc.that already exist in iTunes in the Urban Radio folder. I did the same for other folders that would not have been transferred to the iPod. To force the higher level playlists (pseudo-folders) to the top of the list of playlists on the iPod, I surrounded the names with single angle quotes; Shift-Option-3, which looks like < and Shift-Option-4, which looks like >.
    After going through my iTunes playlists and replacing references to folders with playlists the number of flagged smart playlists on my iPod dropped to a mere three. For those three errant smart playlists, I just removed the null lines from the smart playlist logic on the flagged smart playlists on the iPod. All the playlists on the iPod are fine now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users