Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Printing on an HP LaserJet 4050 over Ethernet? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Printing on an HP LaserJet 4050 over Ethernet?

#1 User is offline   dougoftheabaci 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

A friend of mine has an HP LaserJet 4050TN and he wants to use that with his MacBook. It has an ethernet port on the back and, from what little information I can find on the web, it should be possible to connect to it, some sources say AppleTalk but I can't get it to work.
We have the proper drivers and I've gotten Guten Print so I know the printer is supported.
Does anyone know how to do this? Is it actually even possible? He's got OS X 10.4.10, the MacBook is only a few months old and I've installed the latest version of Guten Print.

#2 User is offline   Mycroft_Holmes_MW 

• PipPip

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

I don't know anything about Guten Prnt, but you should be able to print to the HP4050TN natively (without installing anything else).
A couple things to check:
If you want to print using AppleTalk, make sure AppleTalk is enabled in your Network Preference Pane (if on a wireless network, you may have to bridge the network rather than create a separate internal network).
Print the configuration page on the printer (Information->Configuration Page). See if it shows that AppleTalk is enabled.
You could also try printing via TCP/IP by giving the printer a static IP and using the IP Printer option in the Print Setup Utility.
For configuring the printer, you could use the HP LaserJet Utility from a computer that has OS9 or classic (you'd also need AppleTalk for this). Or you can try to configure it through the controls and LCD screen on the printer.

#3 User is offline   dougoftheabaci 

• PipPip

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

Since we're both Intels OS 8/9/Classic are not an option. I don't suppose you know of a link to a guide that might help me? Or some form of a user's manual that doesn't appear to be in pure tech. talk?
If not, that's OK, you've already given me plenty to go on. Thanks for the help!

#4 User is offline   Mycroft_Holmes_MW 

• PipPip

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

If you need to configure it from the LCD on the printer, first print out the Menu Map. That will show all the little sub-menus that you need to navigate into to get to the various settings.

#5 User is offline   dougoftheabaci 

• PipPip

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:07 PM

That's great! I didn't know the printer had that so that should make it much easier. I'll assume that's on the root on the printer commands or somewhere rather obvious. Thanks!

#6 User is offline   l_elephant 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

hi dougoftheabaci, have you been able to resolve the problem?
i'm asking because i'm having trouble with your machines cousin, an HP color laserjet 4500n, (of which i'll start a new thread.)
has your laserjet 4050 been discontinued?

#7 User is offline   Mycroft_Holmes_MW 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

The 4050 series was discontinued long ago.
Although the LCD configuration method is very similar to that of new HP printers, the configuration method through the software is very different. With newer HP laser printers, the software configuration is done through a web browser. The web configuration can be accessed through OS X's Print Setup Utility, or by typing the printer's IP directly into a web browser.

#8 User is offline   dougoftheabaci 

• PipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

Actually, I haven't been able to test out the solutions yet. I moved house shortly after posting this topic and I haven't had net since except when I go to the London Apple Store (such as now).
By the end of the month I hope to be able to answer your question. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users