• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I copy copywrited VHS tapes to DVD

#1 User is offline   SparkyinNH 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hi all,
I have many old VHS pre-recorded factory tapes that you can't get on DVD easily. Many are copywrited Disney films. These are the ones of my main interest.
I have tried Sony's VHS to DVD decks and while they work OK for non-copywrited tapes, Disney tapes will not dub over.
What I am looking for is guidance on how to dub these VHS tapes to DVD using my MAC.
Quastions?
1. Is it possible?
2. What program do I use?
3. What media should I use?
I want to be upfront with this, the dubbed VHS tapes are for my own use only and will not be sold or exchanged.
Thanks
Sparky

#2 User is offline   SSGoku 

• PipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

Quote:

Hi all,
I have many old VHS pre-recorded factory tapes that you can't get on DVD easily. Many are copywrited Disney films. These are the ones of my main interest.
I have tried Sony's VHS to DVD decks and while they work OK for non-copywrited tapes, Disney tapes will not dub over.
What I am looking for is guidance on how to dub these VHS tapes to DVD using my MAC.
Quastions?
1. Is it possible?
2. What program do I use?
3. What media should I use?
I want to be upfront with this, the dubbed VHS tapes are for my own use only and will not be sold or exchanged.

This answer really makes me feel old. Here's how we dubbed VHS cassettes in the old days. We used Scotch Tape. That's right. Plain old scotch tape. On the side of the VHS tape, you'll see an indentation. Cover the indentation with a piece of scotch tape. You can now dub the VHS tape just like any other non-copyrighted tape.
Scotch tape was also the tool of choice in dubbing music cassettes too.
Well, good luck with your project.

#3 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:32 AM

Google "digital video stabilizer."

#4 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

-Hi,
Macworld did a piece on this: [Click Here] We used Dazzle Hollywood for analog to digital. Its just a converter box and plugs into the Mac via firewire.
And as mentioned. You can cover up where the plastic tab was removed on the VHS w/ electrical tape also.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users