Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: outgoing mail server offline - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

outgoing mail server offline

#15 User is offline   lacarids 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 05-July 10

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

This is the most annoying thing ever! It happens to me every time that I get a new password (every three months for my work email account). You'd think that they'd fix it by now... I'll tell you that I never had this problem when I was using Microsoft Office and Outlook.

Alas, I'm on Mac now, and so are you. Here's how I fix it using Mountain Lion (it was slightly different under Snow Leopard).

- Right click on the mailbox that is offline
- Select <Edit "MailboxName"...>
- On the top row of icons, select the <Accounts> button
- In the left pane, select the email account that is offline
- In the right pane, next to "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), click on the dropdown menu and select <Edit SMTP Server List...>
- On the top, select the email account that you want to edit
- In the middle, toggle from <Advanced> if necessary.
- Enter your new password, and do the OK, and 'X' out of it...

Should be sending without problemas!
0

#16 User is offline   tsekerija 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 05-February 13

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hi all,

I have just registered to let you know my experience on this matter.
I have been using my private mail servers mail.myservername1.com and mail.myservernam2.hr (yep, from Croatia) for some time and yesterday, suddenly, I had all my servers offline.
I knew it was not a problem of my servers as they both suddenly stopped working in Mail.
Once upon a time while I was using Win I had similar issue and it was all because interent provider I was using didn't allow using any other outgoing server except theirs. But instead using usual outgoing server of provider (in my case it was mail.iskon.hr), I had to use proxy server (in my case smtp.iskon.hr) as mail.iskon.hr wasn't working.
So, my advice is to check out with your provider the name of proxy outgoing server and use it with SSL and your username and password you got to access the account of your provider.

So it's not a Mac issue, but it can be a pain in the ass!

Hope this helps! :)
0

#17 User is offline   jaymchugh 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 14-February 13

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions...today I have exhausted myself with all the suggestions.....cannot receive email.....

Should I just call support; walk in to a apple store...or am I missing something....

thanks....Jay
0

#18 User is offline   fur-styferret 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 01-March 13

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Im having the same problem can receive mail but when sending it just comes back with server offline. I have reinstalled the mail software but no change anyone any ideas.

I mistakenly looked for a help number and it nearly cost me £120 quid as they said it was a Malaware virus, spoke to AOl who told me to reinstall my mail app but this didnt help either

This post has been edited by fur-styferret: 01 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

0

#19 User is offline   fur-styferret 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 01-March 13

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

View Postfur-styferret, on 01 March 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Im having the same problem can receive mail but when sending it just comes back with server offline. I have reinstalled the mail software but no change anyone any ideas.

I mistakenly looked for a help number and it nearly cost me £120 quid as they said it was a Malaware virus, spoke to AOl who told me to reinstall my mail app but this didnt help either





ok after a lot of messing about i have downloaded Sparrow as my mail app ....works a treat
0

#20 User is offline   sandbag1 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,329
  • Joined: 28-January 02

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postfur-styferret, on 05 March 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

View Postfur-styferret, on 01 March 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Im having the same problem can receive mail but when sending it just comes back with server offline. I have reinstalled the mail software but no change anyone any ideas.

I mistakenly looked for a help number and it nearly cost me £120 quid as they said it was a Malaware virus, spoke to AOl who told me to reinstall my mail app but this didnt help either





ok after a lot of messing about i have downloaded Sparrow as my mail app ....works a treat

If you want to try Apple Mail again, delete all of your accounts in Mail & set them up again,
0

#21 User is offline   ffields 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 27-June 13

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

I had this problem too and tried all of the above suggested options. Then, I re-entered my username (email address usually) and password with the smtp settings and saved this. Then everything returned to normal. Hooray! (for now).
Seems to have worked. I think there should be a prompt for outgoing mail to re-enter passwords as will prompt for incoming but doesn't seem to for the outgoing mail.
Hope this helps someone else.
0

#22 User is offline   janisnyc 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 03-September 13

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

View Postjanisnyc, on 03 September 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

View Postlacarids, on 19 October 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

This is the most annoying thing ever! It happens to me every time that I get a new password (every three months for my work email account). You'd think that they'd fix it by now... I'll tell you that I never had this problem when I was using Microsoft Office and Outlook.

Alas, I'm on Mac now, and so are you. Here's how I fix it using Mountain Lion (it was slightly different under Snow Leopard).

- Right click on the mailbox that is offline
- Select <Edit "MailboxName"...>
- On the top row of icons, select the <Accounts> button
- In the left pane, select the email account that is offline
- In the right pane, next to "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), click on the dropdown menu and select <Edit SMTP Server List...>
- On the top, select the email account that you want to edit
- In the middle, toggle from <Advanced> if necessary.
- Enter your new password, and do the OK, and 'X' out of it...

Should be sending without problemas!



Found your answer to this problem I have been having, when my husband asks me to send an email from his email address from my MacBook. Kept getting his email "server offline".
Searched for hours for an answer and yours from 19 Oct.2012 did the trick.
Just wanted you to know that help like you posted is greatly appreciated.
janisnyc
2

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users