Macworld Forums: "Can't find a PPPoE Server" - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Can't find a PPPoE Server"

#1 User is offline   RooneyR 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

I've been using Airport to connect to the internet via a DSL modem and it's worked fine. Now, suddenly, I'm not able to connect to the internet and getting the alert box "Can't find a PPoE server." Airport status in Internet Connect reports that I am connected via PPPoE, but Safari says I'm not connected. (I plugged the ethernet cable directly into the computer to get on the internet to post this... so the internet is there and the modem is working.)

In the past I've tried all the usuals... restarting the computer, turning Airport off then back on, unplugging the Airport base station and then plugging it back in... and gotten it to reconnect. If the computer went to sleep and then woke up, it lost the connection. Now, however, it won't connect at all.

Any suggestions of what might be going on... and what I might try next? Thank you!

I'm on a PowerBook G4, Titanium 1 GHz G4, 1 GB RAM, running 10.4.11. Airport base station is the original white one.

#2 User is offline   tuburan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

I had a buddy that had an airport express for about 3 years. Suddenly his internet was extremely slow. There is a little hidden reset button that you hit with a sharp object and then the light kind of flashes maybe yellow and then maybe green. It's worth a try. He ended up buying a new modem for like $64 (Wired/Wireless) which is much cheaper than the Apple version at $179.

The History of PPP (the old dialup used to connect via PPP - Point to Point Protocol I think ...). So they are still using PPP but now they tacked an oe onto it (over Ethernet = oE). It's a wonder that you get any kind of signal over those old phone lines - which reminds me do you have those little filters on all of your phone lines!

#3 User is offline   gsahli 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

That error usually just means your router isn't set to do the PPPoE login, because you previously had your computer set up to do it (which it shouldn't be now that you have a router). Does this fit your situation? Can you tell us a little more about your network?

#4 User is offline   RooneyR 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I've solved the problem, but I'm not quite sure how.

After running for several days directly on Ethernet to the DSL modem, I reconnected Airport to the DSL modem via Ethernet cable (my Network is just that... DSL modem and AIrport Base Station), switched back to Airport in Internet Connect, and the Network pane of System Preferences opened to network status, saying I wasn't connected. I had been set to Automatic. It suggested I switch to the location I wanted to use. When I switched to Airport, it clearly applied changes, and everything has worked fine since, including waking from sleep.

Again, I'm not sure what I did, but... thanks for your help.

#5 User is offline   danicaSmashYA 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

ok so i keep getting a pop up stating Not connected to PPPoE server and I went in to my system preferences, networks, and disconnected the ethernet option, is states no connected thinking that my ether net was attempting to connect. I have wireless but it still comes up and it is very often and disrupting! HELP!

#6 User is offline   mariaganiaris 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostdanicaSmashYA, on 19 April 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

ok so i keep getting a pop up stating Not connected to PPPoE server and I went in to my system preferences, networks, and disconnected the ethernet option, is states no connected thinking that my ether net was attempting to connect. I have wireless but it still comes up and it is very often and disrupting! HELP!

I'm having the exact same issue. Anyone out there that can help?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users