• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sound equalizer for the system?

#1 User is offline   danvendel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:50 AM

Sometimes, e.g. when listening to a clip with music from youtube, I wish there was some kind of equalizer I could use to adjust the sound. Any tips?

#2 User is offline   cdslashetc 

• Pip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

I've been wondering the same thing, especially for switching between headphones and built-in speakers on my MacBook. I just found this app and am going to check it out:

Audio Hijack Pro

http://www.hitsquad....rams/HijackPro/

Not cheap at $39, but if it works might be worth it. Looks like they may have a cheap / free "Standard" version.

#3 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:14 AM

Audio Hijack will give you exactly what your system output produces.
That won't do what y'all want. It'll capture the audio, but you need to
launder it through an audio editor afterwards. Audacity is free (and
worth every penny IMO). Amadeus is a few bucks and a good step
between free apps and the professional ($$) editors.

#4 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

I don't understand albloom's comment. Post-processing recorded files is not going to help in this case at all.

Audio Hijack will do exactly what danvendel wants. It's overkill, because it's ultimately made for recording, but it does have the wonderful capability to filter audio on a per-application basis in real time. I certainly use it to individually change the volume of different applications so that I can increase the gain for audio on a web page that's too quiet, without blasting my ears when system alerts sound off.

You can certainly Hijack any single application, apply any of the provided equalizers, and make your EQ adjustments to the hijacked application without affecting other apps. Or apply different EQ to multiple apps separately. You will not need to hit the Record button at any time. Just process the audio as it comes through in real time.

What cdslashetc wants, control over output devices, is something that the old Detour utility did, but apple made changes to OS X that broke Detour forever. This lack of control over per-application and per-device audio are annoying oversights that I hope Apple fixes some time in the future.

#5 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:15 AM

Granted I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, Moose, but the Audio Hijack "manual"
seems to say it'll do those effects via plug-ins which may come with Audio Hijack.

The included effects (in my 2.8) are Gain, Dry-Wet Mix, and Clipping. To hi-lite my
ignorance, I don't know what Dry-Wet Mix is.

The manual's appendix lists several types of plug-ins Audio Hijack can use: 4fx,
VST, and LADSPA. I seem to have missed the part about where to get them or
where to put them.

AudioHijackPro/AboutPlugins lists a bunch of effects, each labeled "inactive." If
I select one to "load" I'm presented with an Open dialog and invited to find the
little bugger. Which I can't do.

I'm lost. I'd be grateful for any guidance you can offer.

#6 User is offline   treefrogman 

• Pip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

I've been looking for the same functionality. My solution is a bit gimmicky, but works like a charm and it's all free.
You will need:
-Soundflower from Cycling '74
-SoundSource menu extra from Rogue Amoeba
-LineIn from Rogue Amoeba
-AU Lab from the Developer Tools from Apple (probably came with your system CDs, othwerwise download from Apple)
Recipe:
-Use SoundSource menu to direct Default and System outputs to Soundflower (2ch)
-Use LineIn to pass the audio from Soundflower (2ch) to channels 1 and 2 of -Soundflower (16ch). Use the advanced options to choose the channels.
-Open AU Lab and configure thus:
Audio Device: Soundflower (16ch)
Input Source: Default
Outputs: channels 3 and 4
Inputs: channels 1 and 2
-Use a copy of LineIn (yes, you can duplicate the application and run two copies at once - I love it!) to pass the audio from channels 3 and 4 of Soundflower (16ch) to your headphones/speakers.
-Go back to AU Lab and add any effects you want, including Graphic or Parametric EQ. You can save your AU Lab setup as a file for reuse.
Hope it works, and enjoy!

#7 User is offline   cdslashetc 

• Pip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions :) I downloaded the bits and pieces and will give it a try, those utilities should come in handy for some other things as well.

Personally, I ended up just getting one of these for $10 and that did the job, although does only volume and not eq--at least that takes care of the huge difference in volume between speakers and headphones on my MacBook Pro so I don't have to change the volume when I switch from one to the other.

Shure Level Attenuator Listening Level Controller
http://www.amazon.co...0029U0X6/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211672510&sr=8-1

#8 User is offline   Manufaktura 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

I had simmilar problem trying to adjust output audio sound while playing online web movies. After searching for a while, I found great software, but unfortunately it's not free. You can download this great mac apple OS X system audio equalizer software named Hear from Apple downloads or from manufacturer web site www.joesoft.com, try full demo for 30 days and buy it for $49.95

#9 User is offline   muellerr1 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

The AU Lab method worked perfectly. It took me awhile to figure out that I needed to delete the first two sound inputs of Soundflower 16 when adding channels 3 & 4, but the sound quality with the 10-band eq is the same as Hijack's. Thanks for figuring that out. It's complicated, but it works great. Now I've got the AU Lab document saved and along with the two copies of line in set to launch automatically from my startup items.

I really can't believe how tinny the standard OS X line-out tone sounds, especially compared to the sound after pumping up the bass and treble. There's a trade-off in line-out volume (the same that you'd get with Hijack), but the quality is so vastly improved that it's worth it.

#10 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

albloom said:

Granted I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box,

Too funny -Al,

Now I've got to clean spit off my display... :D

Anyway, I used AudioHijack last night and couldn't get the finished audio to my liking: Ended up using Peak LE. Yeah, overkill but its was handy. Can't help ya with the plugins...sorrrrry..

#11 User is offline   MixedContent 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

There's a step missing which may be considered obvious by those who already use SoundFlower -- you have to launch SoundFlower and assign its 2ch and 16ch facilities to something real on the computer. Otherwise, the configuration can be perfect in all other respects and will result in no sound at all.

#12 User is offline   muellerr1 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:00 AM

I just discovered something else about the Soundflower-AU Lab setup: the Soundflower volume max value appears to be based on the initial system line-out volume when you switch to Soundflower as the output.

I thought it was just quiet when using Soundflower as the output until I switched my output back to line out, turned up the system audio level to full blast (take off your headphones first! Ouch) then switched Soundflower back as the output. Suddenly the volume range was much greater.

#13 User is offline   apinnola 

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hi! Where can I find the AU Lab app to download? I'm trying hard and no sucess.

Thanks.

#14 User is offline   apinnola 

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

I found It inside de Mac Os X CD, but not for download anymore.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users