Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to access an Airdisk over the Internet

#1 User is offline   jsu_aggie 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:52 AM

I have just purchased an Airport Extreme Gigabit Router and I have attached a USB drive to it. I have setup File sharing in the Airport utility...I can mount the Airdisk and share files locally. I am unable to access the drive over the internet. I have checked the box for "Share disks over the Ethernet WAN port" and the other box for " Advertise disks globally using Bonjour" Still no joy. What have I missed? I want to access files on my Airdisk using the internet. Help.

#2 User is offline   adcoombs 

• Pip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

If you have a normal ISP, with a dynamic IP address the following instructions worked for me:

1. Set up a dynamic DNS account, such as one through dyndns.com, using your airport extreme's ip address.

2. Next, using your airport utility, go to the base station configuration page, click the "Edit" button under the Airport Extreme Name.

3. Check the "Use dynamic global hostname" and enter your new hostname and dyndns account information

4. To connect to your USB drive, from Finder, select Connect to Server (OpenApple-K). If your usb drive is formated for mac only, enter "afb://yourhostnameher" if its formated for Mac&Windows (FAT32), use "smb://yourhostnamehere".

5. A pop-up box should appear, asking for your username and password. What you enter here will depend on how you set up your AirDisk access (i.e. w/Airport Password, AirDisk password or with user accounts).

Hope this helps!

#3 User is offline   jsu_aggie 

• PipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

I did as you suggested. It works on my local network, but it doesn't work over the internet. I have a DyDNS account and I can connect on my local network by using: smb://dydnshostname. If I do the same over the internet, finder will not connect. What's next?

Thanks

#4 User is offline   ayman07 

• Pip

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:59 AM

View Postjsu_aggie, on 26 November 2008 - 07:07 PM, said:

I did as you suggested. It works on my local network, but it doesn't work over the internet. I have a DyDNS account and I can connect on my local network by using: smb://dydnshostname. If I do the same over the internet, finder will not connect. What's next?

Thanks

I have been searching for days; trying to figure this out. Can someone shed some light on this situation. I set up everything correctly but I still cannot access the device outside my network.

#5 User is offline   evilalec 

• Pip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

You don't need any of that dyndns stuff... The trick is to put your airport extreme into bridge mode...

access airport extreme utility, Then select internet at the top, then choose 'off(bridge mode)' for connection sharing.

Let your router restart and THEN afp in from your computer on a different network.

View Postayman07, on 30 June 2010 - 05:59 AM, said:

View Postjsu_aggie, on 26 November 2008 - 07:07 PM, said:

Thanks

I have been searching for days; trying to figure this out. Can someone shed some light on this situation. I set up everything correctly but I still cannot access the device outside my network.

#6 User is offline   RaymondMac 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

Bridge mode typically does not work well for internet connection sharing with a few computers. Also, the normal dynamic dns using http is not supported on Airport / Time Capsule. Try use dynamic global hostname service from http://www.mdyndns.com

#7 User is offline   durandal343 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

View Postjsu_aggie, on 19 February 2008 - 06:52 AM, said:

I have just purchased an Airport Extreme Gigabit Router and I have attached a USB drive to it. I have setup File sharing in the Airport utility...I can mount the Airdisk and share files locally. I am unable to access the drive over the internet. I have checked the box for "Share disks over the Ethernet WAN port" and the other box for " Advertise disks globally using Bonjour" Still no joy. What have I missed? I want to access files on my Airdisk using the internet. Help.

I'm a MoblieMe subscriber and use back to my mac for remote access. It works very well for me. I understand you may not have MobileMe but it's a solution no one has suggested.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users