• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Creating a slideshow in FCE

#1 User is offline   umeochazuke 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:06 AM

Help!
I have edited a slideshow using large JPEG still files in FCE. The easu set-up was using NTSC anamorphic (16:9) and I changed the photos to anamorphic in the item properties box. I have created Ken Burns effects and transitions using simple dissolves over some music. (AIFF file).
Everything plays back fine using RT and there are no problems with the transitions or movement.
Yet when I render any part of it, it becomes all jumpy. I have tried any number a combinations of settings, but nothing works.
I have also tried to export to QT movie. The result is also a jumpy movie. I then tried with the QT conversion setting under export, and that also resulted in jumpiness. The best result I got was using MPEG 4 compression, but it is not perfect, with some artifacts and an occasional jump.
Any ideas????
Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Heyoka_Happiness 

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:58 AM

To get a more accurate impression of the video quality, view your slide in Digital Cinema Desktop Preview Mode.

It sounds like interlace jitter which is common to computer displays slomo or freeze frames and thats were the artifacts are coming from. Apply some filters to it De-interlace Filter or try slomo with frame blending.

It could be your media, high resolution images may simple not be suitable for a heavily compressed medium like the video format you're using. You might have to reduce the image size and reduce some of the detail in a high resolution image, usually by blurring it so it can be compressed properly.

Or if the images are to low in resolution it will add fields in order to upscale it to display on a monitor. Which will get you added fields.

This will help you as well

http://www.fcpbook.com/MotionControlin_FCE.html

#3 User is offline   umeochazuke 

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for your reply, but it is not a problem with interlacing. It has something to do with the format itself. I am having similar problems exporting an HD edited project to quicktime. If I work solely in NTSC 4:3 I don't have any problems, but with anamorphic or HD the image jumps or is strange.
I made a slideshow using the same photos in iphoto and the images are beautiful.
As I mentioned, the image is a little better using MPEG 4 conversion, so I think if I could get the settings right, I should be able to export both the slideshow and the HD project.
Thanks again.

#4 User is offline   Heyoka_Happiness 

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Can you post this movie so we can take a look at it?

iPhoto and FCE are not comparable in producing slideshows. Yes they both us QT but FCE is a video editing base application with a timeline and fps aspect rations and so on.

Try lowering your fps.

High resolution images often have far too much detail and resolution to scale well in video. You usualy only need images that are twice or three times the size of the target resolution. For DV this means you don't need to work with an image larger than 2160x1620. Smaller would be better.

#5 User is offline   umeochazuke 

• PipPip

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

Hello again,
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I have been editing a project and just need to complete the slideshow. I have tried various pixel ratios, sizes, formats, etc. but nothing works. It has to be a setting that I am missing, for I have edited slide shows before using FCE 3. I am now using FCE 4, but I don't think there is an inherent problem. Anybody having the same problem?
Thanks again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users